Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In Memory


My dad wrote his very first poem several months before he passed away last July. It was written about his mother and he planned to have it published in the local newspaper in her memory on her birthday. He wasn't here when her birthday came and unfortunately we didn't have it in the paper (we planned to but never did it). So...I'm publishing it here on my blog in memory and in honor of both my dad and my grandmother. After his passing, we couldn't help but wonder if he knew his time was near.

The picture of my grandmother was published in the newspaper quite a few years ago in the local section. She always loved to garden and enjoyed her flowers most of all.


In Memory of Mary Alice Newbold

by Bud Newbold


My mother had a green thumb
with proven garden skills
She tried tirelessly to coach me
though I never had the will.

Wearing her large straw hat
the memories are so clear
When I pass by the home place
I feel her presence near.

Though her garden still remains
and she's been gone for years
I can't help but look for her
with eyes clouded with tears.

One day soon I'll see her
I'm waiting for the day
when the Master calls my name
I'll be on my way.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a strong tribute to your family.
    I wonder how you are all doing without your
    dad and grandma. Time marches on but memories and family ties never fade. My own grandma was a poet and this make me think of her. If he felt his time was near, what a
    comfort. And for you to draw on his strength
    and know he his near for you to lean on.

    ReplyDelete